10.10.2013

Week 1

A quick rundown. 

The flight was great - they played a rendition of the intro song to Jurassic Park during the 20 min decent into Singapore. It was awesome. 

I wanted to start a 'what we ate today' a la Rose Record, but I got discouraged after our first meal was donut holes from 7-eleven because nothing else was open at 5:30am when I got in. I'll try that again for you all sometime next week ;)

I've been to the grocery store a few times - that was kind of fun. The carts appear to be locked together, I wasn't sure, but I wanted to buy what I could carry anyway (as a former NYer, that is a lot) Need to figure that out. Second panic attack - can you separate the bananas? I don't think you can separate the bananas. I ended up buying a bunch of like 9 because I was unsure. 

The cross walk sounds like a laser beam. My refrigerator also appears to let out a screeching alarm if you leave it open too long. That made putting groceries away fun - and startling. 

Checked out the mall a few times! Was only asked twice if I wanted to declare my items assuming I was a tourist (more than fair assumption). In one mall there was a play area for unsupervised children consisting of a large mat, flat screen TV and was simply enclosed by 4 free standing velvet ropes. Dorothy, were not in New York City anymore.

Biggest challenge thus far: training myself to look the opposite way when crossing the street, as they drive on the left side of the road here - really need to master this one and quickly. Also, I am not quite sure, but as they drive on the opposite side of the road as we are used to, I feel like walking patterns are also opposite. This has resulted in A LOT of step right, freeze, hesitate, studder left, almost run into oncoming person. Times this by 10 when trying to go for a run.   

Oh and yes, it IS as hot and humid as they say it is. Like whoa. 

Going to take the new camera out this weekend! Also, next Tuesday is a public holiday so Michael and I are hoping to do something fun :) 

Until next time. 



PS - I have seen 4(!) golden retrievers since being here. Michael lied to me and said they didn't exist in Singapore. I will not buy a dog in Singapore, I will not buy a dog in Singapore, I will not buy a dog in Singapore, I repeat, I will not buy a dog in Singapore.   















1 comment :

  1. I LOVE all of it. Cracking up picturing you doing each of these things. So glad you're figuring it all out. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete