12.11.2014

The Weekender

Hey guys! First and foremost - THANK YOU all for the very sweet and thoughtful birthday wishes, texts, posts and messages. Like I mentioned last year, it's fun having your bday while living in Asia because you really do get to be celebrated for two full days! (How do parents who've had a baby in Asia but moved to the US celebrate? It's like 'son, your birthday is today but really it was yesterday.' Trippy man). It's so wonderful how technology brings us closer and makes us feel not so far away. Thanks again everyone, you're the best :)


In summary, I had an absolutely awesome birthday weekend full of gifts, sweets, holiday cheer and a whole lot of running. Michael and I are both feeling the year end squeeze, both at work and with holiday gatherings, but even though we are crazy busy and it's 90 degrees out, it really is the most wonderful time of the year... 


Big shout out to the best FIL (family-in-law) for the gorgeous flowers. Everyone at work asked if they were from my husband. No! They are from his family tho. A-hem, where's my bouquet from you, Michael? ;) JK, JK.

Birthday-day lunch at one of our favorite hot spots - Din Tai Fung. 



My birthday night actually coincided with our annual office holiday party. The location and night was so much fun. The party was held at the historic Singapore National Museum - the food, drink and entertainment (my trivia team won!) was excellent. They were also so sweet about celebrating my bday as well :)




I rushed home to my sweet husband  just before midnight (I unfortunately couldn't attend the after party because of the impending half marathon a mere 36 hours later). He greeted me with a sweet gift, cake and candles. Hashtag blessed. 


Now. On to the main event! Michael and I participated ran in the Standard Chartered half marathon for the second year in a row(!) I'm far from a 'real runner' but like the idea of doing a big event once a year. 

Starting line selfie! Ugh - notice how much lighter it is than last year?


We arrived a little bit later than we wanted to and ended up flagging off in the third wave - about 35min later than the first start. Meaning an extra 35min in the direct sun and heat! Not making excuses here... But in hindsight this was a mistake on our part. Most cloudy? Lies. 


Anyway, we did it! I was pretty dissapointed in my time, but happy that I finished (I blame the heat, new route and Kanye West radio not being that sweet this month). Michael did great and beat his time from last year by 10 min(!)  



After we limped home, we showered up and headed to the Westin for a well earned, free flow champagne birthday  brunch. Yes - it's a 3 day affair. 

The Westin pulls out all the stops with the 3 V's: view, variety and Veuve ;)

SO much new construction.


Hmmm, meat. 



About midway through brunch we enjoyed a classic Singapore storm roll on in.

Even though we are so far from many of our friends and family it was a wonderful birthday celebration. Cheers to a great year to come! 

Tomorrow we are headed to Bintan, Indonesia for a relaxing beach vacay. We booked the trip equal parts post marathon, birthday and Michael's guilt for traveling so much lately. #Diva. It'll be a well deserved break to rest our legs and catch up on some sleep. Poor Michael just got back from India after 3 days, 7 meetings, 2 red eye flights and 1 bout of Delhi belly. Yikes. 

We leave for the USA next Friday and we absolutely cannot wait to see everyone over the holidays! Lots of love!!

XO,
CD

No comments :

Post a Comment