Howdy guys! Sorry for the serious delay on the Siem Reap recap. I just started my internship writing for Seth Lui (check out my work here and also on Yahoo News Singapore) and I have been extra busy eating my way around Bangkok the last few days.
Getting back to it...
During my parents recent trip out to Asia, the four of us were thrilled to take a short side trip to Siem Reap. Michael and I haven't had the chance to travel to Cambodia yet, so we were extra excited to check out a location with my parents none of us had ever been. A recap below:
Our three days in Cambodia, for the most part, were spent touring the city and ancient temples with our amazing tour guide Sun Same. I highly, highly recommend giving him a call if you ever find yourself in Siem Reap. Another helpful tip - during our trip we stayed at the most beautiful, charming hotel in the perfect centralized location - The Belmond d'Angkor. Check it out fo-sho.
Sunscreen, check. Bug spray, check. Let's do this Siem Reap!
Quick roadside breakfast anyone?
One of the many stops on our tour was to Tonle Sap Lake - the largest lake in SE Asia - to check out the floating fishing villages. The ride out there is not for the faint of heart. It's about a 40min drive on this extremely unforgiving "road" that takes you out to the middle of nowhere in the extreme heat.
Skinny cows everywhere.
Once we got there we really in the thick of it. This is not your standard tourist trap, this was the real deal.
Fishermen, nets and boats at every turn.
Sun found us an eager boat captain and we were off {but first...}.
The floating villages were truely amazing to see up close. It's incredible how many people live on and support themselves from the river with truly so little. I have so many photos of little kids playing in the water and fishermen fully submerged in the dark, murky waters tending to their nets, however, nearly everyone was naked so I couldn't find a good pic to use :)
Cheese!
The excursion has mixed reviews online, but if you are into photography and want a truly eye-opening and local Cambodian experience, I recommend checking it out. Just make sure you bring plenty of water and don't have a fear of dirty water and/or rickety old boats.
After a full day of popping all over Siem Reap, we were early to bed and early to rise in order to make it to Angkor Wat to catch the sunrise - a must see event. Our guide Sun was also a supreme photographer. Do you know how hard it is to get a shot with no one else in it?
Angkor Wat on the internet...
...Angkor Wat in real life (and this is only the 5:00am crowd).
Angkor Wat was build in the 12th century and is now a world famous UNESCO World Heritage Site. According to my internet research, it was also just named the the world's best tourist attraction by Lonely Planet. Hey-yo!
The place is massive and as impressive as I imagined it would be. I highly suggest touring the site early in the day and with a proper guide because there is so much history to learn and the huge crowds can be unbearable. There is a story and reason behind every tiny detail.
Dwahhh...
Group shot.
After breakfast and a power nap back at the hotel (wake up call is 4:30am to catch the sunrise) we headed off to Ta Prohm Temple aka the Thomb Raider temple. People get really excited knowing Angelina Jolie road a motorcycle through here.
The temple has been nearly entirely overtaken by the forces of nature. They are trying desperately to preserve it, but the fact that it is so overgrown is a major part of its appeal. Seeing it firsthand, it's hard to know just how much longer it will last.
Our last stop on our tour of temples (fun fact: there are actually more than 1000! temples in Siem Reap) was to Bayon - my personal favorite of the three we visited.
I. am. so. sweaty. (Covered knees and shoulders are required, although you sadly see far too many people breaking that, and many other rules).
The temple is comprised of hundreds of faces, each of them different.
Bayon lies at the center of what was once the most well known and last capital of the Khmer Empire. Each of the four walls is less than two miles long creating a walled, 'Great City'. Angkor Thom was also once home to over a million people. How, I have no idea.
While we weren't temple hopping, we spent plenty of time eating, drinking and shopping in town on the famed Pub Street. (Not pictured: we had the best meal at Cuisine Wat Demnak - the food is uniquely assembled, sourced from all local ingredients and set in the cutest tucked away wooden house).
Humble brag: my bargaining skills have gone from non-existent to almost passable in the last couple of years.
Overall, the four of us had the best time in Siem Reap. It was truly an amazing, historic city, home to some of the most kind and humble people I've ever met. I feel so lucky to have shared this memorable experience with my loving family and husband.
Thanks again mom and dad for making the looooong journey out to Asia and helping us create so many amazing, unique memories. Definitely a trip for the ages.
I can't believe this time was here and gone so fast. It already feels like so long ago :( I wish these special times and experiences with our family lasted longer. Really feeling the love on this one... Until our next adventure...
XO,
CD








































No comments :
Post a Comment