9.03.2014

Bangkok, Thailand: Part I

As you may recall, last weekend we had the best time with our good friends the Fitzs in Singapore. They left us kicking and screaming mid-week for the resort island of Koh Samui, while we stayed behind in the comforts of our overly air conditioned cubicles. Once Friday came along we were all excited to be reunited for a fun, luxe! weekend in Bangkok. Below is a recap of our long weekend in Bangkok, Part I of II. (I have lots of pics the share)

First, wait, stop the presses, we stayed in the coolest hotel there ever was. We stayed at this amazing little colonial gem in Bangkok - Cabochon. I was obsessed. We found the hotel on the travel site Mr. & Mrs. Smith. If you are ever looking to book a holiday, especially internationally, in a place where you have never been, I highly recommend you check out this site. 


The entire aesthetic is best described as ambiguously Asian Restoration Hardware. It was seriously homey and cozy. 



The entire lower level was set up like a  charming home and the staff was absolutely, absurdly friendly (shout out to our boy, Cook!). The sitting areas for evening cocktails were dark, candlelit perfection (might I add that the two-for--one 'happy hour' ran from 12 noon - midnight every day) and the musical playlists were on point. We could have stayed there all weekend and pretty much been perfectly happy. 


Coolest hotel bar ever? In the evening the entire basin sink would be full of fresh limes to go with the huge selection of gins (now add tonic...) on the menu. The staff would lightly tread in and out of the sitting rooms and kitchen at all hours of the evening and night. It was a lemon-grass scented heaven. 



Daily stop to check on the turtles. 


Right next door to the hotel was the amazing restaurant, Quince. This place would be a shoo-in for the next big thing in the West Village in NY. Even their website is super cute and trendy. Bangkok is full of surprises! 



Unreal food - cheese plates, fancy cocktails, croquet monsieur, salted meat sandwiches and more Restoration Hardware-esq vibes. 


The majority of our first day was taken up by our trip to the Chatuchak Weekend Market. The largest in Thailand and one of the largest weekend markets in the world. That being said the selection of "nice" or "normal" things was pleasantly surprising. Also it was about 1000x more clean and organized than we anticipated.  We all had a wonderful time and snagged some good buys (even though I scored about a D- on bartering). Michael thought it was hilarious to give me a fixed amount of money and watch me squirm trying to get what I wanted. Fun game, huh :)



It is difficult to capture the size and layout of the place on camera. It was an organized maze of stalls both on all sides. I really wish I would have captured a photo of the map - doh! 


Pet section... :-/



Michael should star in a new Food Network series : Street-Meat Roulette 
*I just made that up. If it ever becomes a real thing I want royalties.



My muse.



After a long day of walking around and bartering, we rested and got cleaned up for dinner. We decided to check out the sky restaurant Vertigo (no, not where they filmed the Hangover II, but equally awesome).  


Dinner with a view! 


Perfect ending to a perfect day in this crazy city. 


Next up on our Bangkok recap: Elephant Polo(!), more good eats and some of Thailand's famed temples.

XO,
CD

No comments :

Post a Comment