9.25.2014

The Weekender: Singapore Formula 1

Hey guys! Back with a weekend re-cap (2 weeks late). Last week when I was getting ready to blog, I realized Michael had taken the computer with him to Hong Kong for the week so I had no way of uploading photos from the camera (I think this has happened one, or 3 times before). 

I have a recap of our fun-filled trip to HK this past weekend, but I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to recap our first Singapore Formula 1 experience (with our good friends J + P). See, look at how happy Michael is! Thumbs up, yo!     


The Singapore Grand Prix is a major event in the city. They set up for weeks and weeks preparing for and hyping the event. The unique thing about the Singapore race is that is runs literally through the city, not around a track. It is really crazy to witness as we often drive, run and ride our bikes all over the same area. 

Most of the F1 tickets are sold in 3-day packages, so we had tickets for Friday's practice session, Saturday prelims and the final event on Sunday night. To get fueled up (pun intended) for the action on Saturday, we had a wonderful (and sweaty) brunch down on Keppel Bay. We ate at this super cute cafe situated on a beautiful marina where all the rich and famous people park their yachts. Michael and I had never been to this part of the island so it was neat to walk around and explore a bit. Minus the crazy Asian skyscrapers, it all felt very Caribbean. 

Me + Jo + our friend Mag who lives in SG

Showing off more of the sights - pit stop (I'm on a roll) to the Maxwell Hawker and a stroll through China Town checking out the beautiful flowers up for the Mid-Autumn festival. 



Back to the action...


There was plenty to do and see in-between races: food, games, souvenir shopping, live music (hello J-Lo, John Legend and Robbie Williams), etc. In true Singapore fashion, it was all very organized and enjoyable (and expen$ive). Singapore has a lot of pride and excitement in hosting such an awesome event year after year. 




I quickly discovered taking photos at an F1 is a little like photographing fireworks. You try and take a million pics but it is never, ever as awesome as the real thing live. Not even close. I know zero about cars and even less about F1, but it was really very enjoyable and exciting to watch. 


With much conviction I quickly declared that 'Lewis Hamilton is my favorite driver.' To which Michael slowly rolled his eyes and explained that quote, that is like saying Tom Brady is your favorite football player, end quote. After some quick googling I discovered that Lewis Hamilton is dating  Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussy Cat Dolls so yes Michael, he IS my favorite driver. (Spoiler alert: Hamilton won the race, btw)


The Red Bull team had the coolest looking cars, if there is a prize for that. Zoom! 


We walked around and scouted out multiple areas of the track to watch from. It was kind of a fun little game, much more fun than sitting in our seats for an entire race. 


Fun fact: Singapore Grand Prix is the only location to do a night race. 


Our view from the Bay Grandstand at night. Everyone talks about how loud the cars are. They are VERY loud, but from what I understand they are using some new hybrid engine or fuel or something so they are about half as loud as they used to me. Very loud, but ear plugs not necessary. 


It was a great weekend to be in Singapore. So happy we were able to experience the event with good friends. See you in Monaco next year!? ;)


Lots of love from Singapore. 


XO,
CD

No comments :

Post a Comment