Howdy all! We are still reeling from yet another wonderful weekend spent traveling with family and making memories. With another public holiday back in Singapore, Michael and I were able to join the Duvall gals on their final stop in Asia - the tranquil, sleepy Thai island of Koh Samui. As I type this the gals are safely back in Kansas City and recovering from their adventures. We were sad to send them home, but spent a wonderful three weekends together {recap here} and Thailand was the icing on the cake. A recap below -
With it's grainy sand, emerald green bathwater beaches and lemongrass curries, I can't believe we haven't visited Thailand in almost a year. I forgot how much I love it - and it's so close. Koh Samui is just a quick 1 hr 10 min flight from Singapore. {We traveled on the boutique airline, Bangkok Air} Easy-peasy.
Our first day on the island was spent doing nothing but lounging, swimming and being serenaded by Michel on the guitar. A picture-perfect Saturday.
The four of us stayed at the ultra-quaint Belmond Napasai. It is conveniently located on the northwest corner of the island and comes complete with small villas lining the beach, kind staff and an awesome breakfast spread.
Paddle boarding was pretty short-lived, but {not pictured} we spent quite a bit of time navigating the open waters with the cutest little Hobie Cat sailboat. (Being from Nebraska, I had no idea how it worked and kept inadvertantly referring to it as a 'tabby cat').
Chill zone.
Taking a break from our leisure time, we ventured out to rent a couple of scooters. Renting scooters when we travel is Michael's most favorite activity which I never let him partake in. You may be risking your life, but hey, it's only $6 / per day, what's the worst that can happen- and we totally have international insurance, right?
How about I watch you take it out for a test drive before I get on...
After conquering my fear of the road, I soon thereafter declared that I would be a great paparazzi street photographer. Also, can we stop and give major props to Elaine for her bravery in driving a scooter, on the left hand side of the road, through the mean streets of Thailand? I drove Michael and I a mere 100m down the entrance of the resort and it was pretty terrifying for all involved.
Pro tip: when in Thailand, one must seek out a local beach restaurant. The tastiest, freshest Thai food you will ever have and the cheapest beers you will ever find. YUM.
As long are you are okay with eating outside in 260 degree heat (I've witnessed more than one heat -induced meltdown that concluded in stripping down and running into the ocean for a reprieve), it's the perfect and, really, only way to spend an afternoon in Thailand.
The location we lunched at was was called 'Rerax'. {Not a joke}
Then back at it at le pool.
That's a post-grad, pre-workforce smile if I've ever seen one :-P
After a final joyride, we sadly returned the hogs and spent our last evening in paradise whipping up our own dinner to the tune of a magical sunset.
Good night, Thailand. Thank you for being the prefect host. You are the best.
Much love to the Duvall gals - come back soon please.
XO,
CD





















No comments :
Post a Comment