I must say it's a pleasure to finally join the blogosphere (is that what "this" is called?) and I suppose a long time coming. I've avoided the limelight for too long, and after a long week of Cassidy's not-so-gentle "encouragement", I'm pleased to submit to you all this Let's Go East guest edition -- India.
I'll confess that I had North Indian food for the first time three years ago. At the time, Cassidy and I lived three kitty-corner blocks away from the heart of Curry Hill in New York. One night we went out on the limb together. Thirty dollars and two very full bellies later a new tradition, "Indian Lovers Night", was born. Since then India has been on my bucket list.
I got the nod several weeks ago to attend the annual meeting for one my firm's clients in Delhi. Actually, I was the only one that raised my hand. It's a six hour flight even from Singapore, and the food / water poisoning stories can be a bit frightening...as it turns out they may be unavoidable.
In any case, we set a 3 day schedule which put me in Mumbai for 24 hours and Delhi for 48 hours (+ a full Saturday to roam Delhi on my own). I arrived in Mumai after midnight on a Tuesday and the next day was packed full of meetings...but I was able to catch a couple gems out the window of our car:
Immediately outside the armed guarded gates of the Grand Hyatt Bombay -- a sacred cow. These guys literally roam the streets unhindered by the local population that worships them.
![]() |
| A church, I suppose |
![]() |
| The local barber |
After a whirlwind tour I arrived in Delhi on Wednesday night and was ravenous.
![]() |
| A proper Indian meal -- room service at the Oberoi. Look at that fresh naan.. |
(Unfortunately) Not pictured: the incredible buffet style meal that my client served the following night. It was outside at athe Delhi Country Club and consisted of a spread 50 metres long with every North India dish I could ever imagine trying. Complete with Indian bread baked in an open faced clay oven. To die for. Apologies for forgetting my camera.
Goooooood morning Delhi!!!! (this early Friday morning nugget is old news to my 7 followers on Instagram)
After a packed Thur / Fri schedule, I finally had a full Saturday to myself to poke around in Delhi. Actually, I had planned to visit the Taj Mahal, a three hour journey by car, on this hot and sunny Delhi morning. Unfortunately I got a bit reckless on Friday night and brushed my teeth with tap water (not bottled water). I awoke at 3am on Saturday morning to a wave of less-than-subtle stomach pangs. At 4am I decided to pull the plug on my impending road trip for fear of what a roadside Indian toilet might look like...
By noon on Saturday I was feeling almost chipper and ventured out to explore Old Delhi. This Rickshaw driver turned out to be the perfect tour guide.
(mine was of the man-powered variety on the right sight of this photo -- over-sized American not pictured here)
...rickshaw diaries...
picture perfect
spice shopping
a heavy load
this is not for show - wholesale chili market
retail chili
baked goods sun-drying
the view from the roof
This poor rickshaw driver must've had the longest 3 hours in recent memory pulling my weight around
I kid you not, these are eagles. And they are literally everywhere in Old Delhi
Clothing shopping
Found the winner! She was a good sport...
Purchased some stationary for Cassidy. These are actually wedding invitations...found them a little to late I guess. Ours have already gone out!
A very sizable mosque!
The next Indian Lovers Night will have an air of authenticity. Confession: I got caught up in the moment and spent WAY too much money on a real Saree for Cassidy. Anyone know any Indian gals looking for a bridesmaid? Oh well, this Saree couldn't have found a more perfect match...
I'll leave you all with one final observation which can't be captured in living color like the scenes above. I'm on my way to the Delhi airport late on Saturday night, making small talk with the lively gentleman driver, who asks me:
"Sir, are you married"
"Not yet, but I'm engaged," I inform him.
"Oh, I see. Is it an arranged marriage or a love marriage?" he asks, as serious as can be.
His was an arranged marriage, but you'll be glad to know that he and his wife are now in love.
At that moment I couldn't have been more excited to see Cassidy on the other end of the red-eye I was about to catch on my way back to Singapore.
Until next time,
MRD





No comments :
Post a Comment