10.08.2014

Reflections: 1 YEAR

Oct. 6, 2014 
Dear diary,

WOW. How has it been one year already? Oct. 6 officially marks my first full year in Singapore! Michael celebrated his one year Singapore-iversary at the end of July without much fanfare, but I will help provide a recap for the both for us.

Taking a quick look back in time...

I love this photo. It was taken on the 4th of July 2013 just a few weeks before Michael left for Asia and also marked our last fratio party at our apt in NYC. My, what a year it has been.


Back to when it all began... our lives would drastically change one fateful day at the end of July. 


Michael was in Singapore for about a month working and getting settled. After that time he returned to the states for a few weeks before I went back with him. This was taken at our good friend Will & Lauren's wedding the night before we left... Savannah, GA > Singapore, Singapore. Goodnight, USA. Asia, here we come! 

#friendletons 

I remember the day I left like it was yesterday - specifically, crying like a maniac in the backseat of my Uber car all the way from Manhattan to Newark - and then crying like a lunatic inside the first class lounge, much to the horror of a bunch of seasoned business travelers - and finally, crying like someone who was about to be sold into human trafficking while waiting at the gate. (side note: Michael and I were on different flights for my inaugural journey over - not something I would recommend for someone with a fragile psyche). However, flying Singapore Airlines business class does help to cheer a person up! Best flying experience ever, hands down, no contest. Silver lining. 

 Direct (no longer in service) EWR > SIN

So for the past few weeks I have been keeping notes in my phone about the things I wanted to include in the one-year recap. Wait, I want to pause here and say how great this blog has been - for equal parts our family, our friends and our own memories. I think looking back one day we will enjoy the memories of all the little things and photos from Singapore most of all. It's funny that something so 'strange' and foreign at first can quickly become normal and a part of your routine. I want to remember all the little things and little quirks. I often wish I had more photos and memories of our time spent in NYC. Looking back, it was such a blur. So what I am saying is, as an expat you must open your eyes, ears, nose(!), mind and heart to your new surroundings and, as Wings once said, do me a favor, open the door - and let 'em innn, yeah, yeah...

I* present to you, a culmination of some of our favorite memories from the past year and the random ramblings of a Year 1 expat. 

(*I am going to write from my POV, but the 'we' here is implied ;))


Clarke Quay
Things to note : 

Shade standing - waiting for the cross walk? You wait like 15 ft back in any sort of shade you can find. Same with turning lanes. Sun's hot ya'll.

Waiters / waitresses - As in the states, do not expect someone to constantly come over to ask if you need anything. If you need something, simply get someones attention. Some have noted this as 'bad service' but it is simply a cultural thing and the way it works here, which is totally cool once you figure it out. Which leads me to my next point...  

Tipping - not a thing. Ever. Most often there is a built in 10% service charge.

Elevator etiquette - I do not believe women are given in/out preference here. Which I guess is cool. I can play elevator hunger games with the best of them.

Paying a visit to Michael's office - week 1
Taxis - usually, if the change amount is < 50 cents you don't pay it. If it is > 50 cents you don't get the change back. Good for me. Good for you.    

No electrical plugs in the bathroom - I still cannot figure this one out. Like, I have never seen a bathroom that has an outlet in it. Maybe it's more safe that way? It's so hot I would never dream of drying my hair in the bathroom anyway. Still, strange to me. 

Holding doors open for someone is not really a thing - I am going to chalk it up to both aggressive security and the letting out of cold air-con air. True story: Picture this. One time Michael and I were walking towards the outside gate of our condo (you need a key card here to open the gate). A women was walking out just as we were about to walk in. As she was leaving, the gate bounced behind her and did not latch. She stops - literally 1 ft between us and the (open) gate behind and ensures that the gate is securely shut. Ha. Better safe than sorry, I guess?     

Day trip to Pulau Ubin
Doctor visits - DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW EASY IT IS TO SEE A DR. AND GET MEDICATION HERE? AND IT'S ALL COVERED BY INSURANCE! YES I AM YELLING.   

Day / month / year dating system - do you know how many cartons of milk and other items I have thrown away thinking they were far older than they really were?


Lifts - the lifts in both our condo and Michael's office are made and operated by "Schindlers Lifts" which is so ridiculous. 


The Peak - first couples trip to HK
Things I love :

Feeling safe / our apartment - as someone who has above average paranoia, I love and take pride in how safe and secure Singapore is. I also love our little apartment. This city and our house has really become a home. Especially with all our travels in the region, we feel really lucky to be living here in this oasis in SE Asia.  

Working so close in proximity to Michael - breakfast, lunch and bus buddies! :) 

Year-round base tan ;)

Snorkeling in Phuket, Thailand
Apple TV - our third roommate. My savior. My link to the outside world. How else am I supposed to keep up with the Kardashians and Real Housewives?! 

Din Tai Fung - oh. so. good. 


$1 coin - the US really needs to get more of these. 

Cu Chi Tunnels, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Indian food - it's so, so good here. I swear every time we eat it we stop and say, 'do they have good Indian food in KC?' This is something I know we will really miss one day.

Travel / Changi Airport - seeing this part of the world is such an incredible opportunity. Also, Singapore airport is the best, most efficient airport in the world.  

Our nice camera - thank you again to everyone who helped gift us our camera. It has been so great to have it and capture our time here. 

When our friends and family come to visit - DUH!  

Chinese New Year parade set up in Singapore
Things I miss :

Family and old friends - this is implied. 

Food delivery - I'm not saying this doesn't exist here, but I'm not suggesting you try it if you want to keep your sanity or have less than 2 hours to spare. And if you want something delivered while it's raining out? hahahaha...that's hilarious.   

Smart Water - this is kind of trivial since it's like, the ONE western thing you can't find here, but I really miss it for some reason. Maybe it's because Evian gives me PTSD from Hurricane Sandy.  

Chipotle / Mexican food in general - I mean, you can find Mexican food here, but, you're gunna have a bad time [South Park impression]

Duvalls in Asia - March 2014
Seasons - I get weirdly sad and envious looking at cute fall and winter photos and fashion on social media. 

Ranch dressing - I am that annoying, evil expat who will buy out the entire stock of Hidden Valley Ranch at Cold Storage on the off chance I find it. 

Moderately priced booze - The fact that a $13 draft beer and $60 bottle of wine from the store has become the new normal is frightening. Can't stop, won't stop.
Not sweating 24/7 - taking 2-3 showers per day gets old. 


Pendletons in Asia - July 2014
Goals for Year 2 :

Learn the following words in perfect Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese (although I still struggle remembering the appropriate regions in which to use them): left, right, straight, yes, no, thank you, how much - pretty much all the words you need to get you through a taxi ride if you are worried about getting lost and/or murdered.   

Fitzs in Asia - Aug 2014
See some of our 'big trip' destinations: Japan, China (I have never been), South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.

Continue to expand our friend circle out here - be more outgoing, do more, make plans, SAY YES.

This is the Michael I see everyday - taxi stand in the CBD :)
Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. Resist the urge to get a dog. 

Pulau Sibu, Malaysia 
Things / sayings we have adopted : 

Flat white and Kopi (coffee drinks) - all day, err day.

The terms lift, take-away, queue, mobile (I have never once heard anyone in Asia use the word cell), is-it?, auntie / uncle, air-con, free flow, keen, proper, and luxe - cuz everything in Asia is so very LUXE! 

We are pretty much entirely converted to talking and thinking in terms of kilometers instead of miles (still utterly hopeless in terms of F°/C°).

Cars driving on the left side of the road. Although I don't feel like walking patterns are necessarily the same, so that is still confusing to me. 

East Coast, Singapore
Final thoughts : 

Overall, this has been probably the strangest, hardest, coolest and most awesome year to date. I read a variety of expat blogs and websites and everyone says it, but it really is true - being an expat (no matter what part of the world) is often the highest of the highs and lowest of the lows. I can honestly say in the past year I have had moments of extreme bliss and thankfulness that we get to be living this amazing, amazing life - I have also had moments of extreme homesickness and gut punching loneliness and frustration (even with the most loving, supportive, handsome, hardworking husband right by my side). Moving into year 2 I think we have really found a sense of balance. I think a big part of adjusting to expat life is learning to manage expectations and properly deal with the things that challenge you. 

People often compare expat life to college and I think it is perfect - Freshman year is a hot mess where you miss your mom and you want to go home. Sophomore year is a freaking awesome party and you can't remember what you hated about freshman year cuz literally this is the peak of your life. Junior year is still great but it's getting a little redundant. Finally, Senior year it is time to graduate and move on. If this next year is anything like my sophomore year at KU, it's going to be a wild ride... :)

Love you guys - thanks for all the love and support with LGE. 

XO,
CD (& MD)

No comments :

Post a Comment