As the weeks days until baby D is due to arrive rapidly trickle down, I figured I should get out at least one pregnancy post - if anything for my own memory. I mean, how many more times am I going to be pregnant in SE Asia? (answer, ZERO). So, I present to you some growing bump photos along with my random observations and experiences here in Singapore.
[Disclaimer: I realize some of these selfie-mirror pics are super cliche and kinda ridiculous, but as I type this I've literally never felt worse about my physical appearance, so I'm enjoy looking at photos of myself back when I was skinnier and had access to my full wardrobe. Sue me.]
| 10 weeks - hello bloat |
The bump makes it debut inside a Lulu Lemon dressing room, naturally.
![]() |
| 14 weeks - the bump arrives |
Why yes we have a photo of The Beatles, purchased from a rougue street vender in NY, in our bathroom. It actually sits right next to a framed pic of the Rat Pack.
![]() |
| 15 weeks |
![]() |
| 17 weeks |
Normal clothes are starting to no longer fit...
![]() |
| 18 weeks |
"Michael, get in the pic with me so I don't look so desperate."
![]() |
| 19 weeks |
It's official - it's a girl :)
![]() |
| 20 weeks |
I think the bump looks big here because I ate an entire large bag of Cool Ranch Dorritos on this day.
![]() |
| 21 weeks |
![]() |
| 22 weeks |
![]() |
| 22 weeks |
![]() |
| 23 weeks |
![]() |
| 24 weeks |
![]() |
| 25 weeks |
![]() |
| 28 weeks |
![]() |
| 29 weeks |
![]() |
| 31 weeks |
Annnd we have reached the stage where we should only be photographed in black and white.
![]() |
| 33 weeks |
![]() |
| 34 weeks - hi puffy fingers |
![]() |
| 35 weeks |
![]() |
| 36 weeks |
![]() |
| 37 weeks |
Touching :
It was funny when we went home for the holidays people were gingerly asking if they could touch my stomach and I realized that no one besides Michael, myself and my Dr have touched my stomach in all of my time being pregnant. I have heard stranger-touching is a very common thing back in the States, but in my experience, in Singapore (and possibly Asia in general?) no local would EVER dream of coming up to you and rubbing your belly. My first encounter with stranger danger came at a massive 35 weeks when this tiny little 100 year old British lady gave me a little pat and said to 'take care.' I admit it took me by surprise and was a little weird.
It was funny when we went home for the holidays people were gingerly asking if they could touch my stomach and I realized that no one besides Michael, myself and my Dr have touched my stomach in all of my time being pregnant. I have heard stranger-touching is a very common thing back in the States, but in my experience, in Singapore (and possibly Asia in general?) no local would EVER dream of coming up to you and rubbing your belly. My first encounter with stranger danger came at a massive 35 weeks when this tiny little 100 year old British lady gave me a little pat and said to 'take care.' I admit it took me by surprise and was a little weird.
Water :
Asians believe that a pregnant woman should never, ever, ever drink cold water. Something about it being a traumatic shock for the baby or your womb being an incubator, I have no idea. All I know is that living in a tropical jungle and drinking warm water is about the last thing I want. I can't tell you how many times servers will not even ask me, but automatically bring me a nice steamy glass of water to enjoy - mmm no thank you. No joke I think people are judging me harder while watching me consume my ice water than if I were to be sitting there sipping a double bourbon.
Asians believe that a pregnant woman should never, ever, ever drink cold water. Something about it being a traumatic shock for the baby or your womb being an incubator, I have no idea. All I know is that living in a tropical jungle and drinking warm water is about the last thing I want. I can't tell you how many times servers will not even ask me, but automatically bring me a nice steamy glass of water to enjoy - mmm no thank you. No joke I think people are judging me harder while watching me consume my ice water than if I were to be sitting there sipping a double bourbon.
Strange things taxi uncles (drivers) have said to me :
- I can tell it's a girl because of how broad you are
- Have you taken your breakfast / lunch / dinner yet? (x1000)
- I really hope it's a boy
- A princess! (this applies to anyone and everyone - when you say you're having a girl they reply with, oh a little princess! Without fail)
- Have you felt the baby scratching the inside of your uterus yet? (WHAT?!)
Baby brain :
This is a real thing. Just a couple things I have done: made homemade pizzas without any cheese on top, paid for things at a store then walked out without it (multiple times), and for a while there I developed a very random and irrational fear of leaving the house without any pants on.
This is a real thing. Just a couple things I have done: made homemade pizzas without any cheese on top, paid for things at a store then walked out without it (multiple times), and for a while there I developed a very random and irrational fear of leaving the house without any pants on.
Food :
Singaporeans are hard to figure out on this front. I ran into a lot of disparities while doing my food writing full time. People think you're an awful person for choosing to drink cold water, but roll their eyes when you turn down sharks fin soup...?
Singaporeans are hard to figure out on this front. I ran into a lot of disparities while doing my food writing full time. People think you're an awful person for choosing to drink cold water, but roll their eyes when you turn down sharks fin soup...?
Perks :
Singapore is known to be an extremely strict, rule-following nation, not just in law, but in everyday culture. However, for pregnant ladies they seem to be okay with bending the rules a little. One time a taxi driver actually took me all the way home when I told him I didn't have enough cash to get there - a truly monumental event in Singapore.
Cravings :
- I think I've single handedly increased the stock price of San Pellegrino over the past 9 months. My favorite thing to do is to mix the regular water with the a Limonata during 'happy hour.' Or add sliced lemons to the plain flavor. The highlight of my day. Is that sad?
- Pop Tarts for sure, although this has tapered off in these final months
- Bad for you sugary cereals that I was never allowed to consume when I was a kid (i.e. Reese's Pieces Puffs, Lucky Charms, the list goes on)
Overall :
Overall the experience in Singapore has been great. I have been feeling pretty good throughout this journey and have been extremely blessed with a healthy pregnancy. I love my doctor and the health care system is top notch, but the entire experience has not been without a few cultural quirks that have made me both laugh and cringe over the months.
In general, pregnant women in Singapore are very pampered. Some things I find funny are that people will treat you like a gentle disabled flower and insist you not sit on a chair over 24in off the ground, lift anything over the weight of a piece of paper, or stand up for any amount of time, but they will run you down with their car while you're crossing the street, chain smoke right next to you, or jump the queue and steal your taxi. Sometimes you just have to laugh. Overall it's been great and I think I'll miss the good life in Singapore next time around ;)
We can't wait for our little one to get here! Pretty much any day now!
XO,
CD






















No comments :
Post a Comment